CodexFit supports multiple payment methods including a card stored on file, cash, and Terminal, a physical device used to take payments in-person.
Through the use of an external Terminal, you can take payments via cards while in-person as well as store a physical card on a customer's account.
In this guide, we'll walk through how to:
- Take payment while in-person using Terminal
- Store a card on a customer's account when in-person, using Terminal and the customer has a physical card (i.e. magnetic/chip and pin card)
We will also cover use cases and limitations of Terminal.
Take payments while in-person
If you are in-person, you can go to a customer's account in CodexFit and select purchase.
Then add any items to cart that you'd like to purchase on behalf of the customer.
(Please note, if you are going to buy a subscription for a customer, you cannot use Terminal and instead will need to use Terminal to store the customer's physical card on their account, then run the transaction and charge the card on file.)
In the payment method's dropdown, select Payment: Stripe Terminal.
Then select the Terminal you wish to use. You will only be able to see Terminals that your company has already attached to a location. If no Terminal has been added for your location, please talk with an admin on your team about configuring this.
Once the correct Terminal is selected, you can then click Pay Now. This will then allow the customer to touch their card or Apple/Google device to pay for the purchase.
If prompted, ask the customer to select PIN credit and type in their pin to complete the transaction.
Storing a new card on a customer's account
If a customer wishes to add a card to their account so that you can buy a subscription or so the card can later be used automatically for future online/in-person purchases, you can add this using Terminal.
To do this, go to purchase and then scroll down and you'll see a button to "add new cart with Terminal." Select this and then select the Terminal you wish to use.
The customer can then tap their card to add this to their account.
(Please note, customers can only tap or insert physical cards. You cannot store an Apple/Google pay card to a customer's account).
If you have followed these steps, the customer will now have a card stored on their account. You can now use this to also purchase them a subscription and rather than selecting Stripe Terminal from the payment methods dropdown, you'd simply select card on file.
- You cannot charge a subscription with Terminal. Terminal will only allow one-off purchases like credit bundles or products.
- You cannot add a Google or Apple pay phone card to a customer's account. You can only store a physical card to a customer's account.
- You can charge a subscription to a customer's account using a card on file. Therefore, you can ask a customer to store a physical card to their account, then run a new transaction to purchase a subscription with the card on file.